Brandemeyers Chocolate Chip - "Choco"
Our "Choco" started out with a minor cough last Saturday night and same turned into a horrific cough and ultimate gasping action Sunday mid day and worsened Sunday night about midnight. We took him to the emergency Vet (Dr. Locke's office, the Vet that took care of our other Labradors, Roxy and Redford for 15 and 16 years, respectively) and discovered he had "kennel cough."
They gave him an injection and said he would sleep through the night until morning and be just fine. The cough and gasping action from an enormous amount of fluids got much worse and of course he never slept. At one time Monday morning around 4:30 am, Choco turned several fast spins and collapsed. He was not breathing and his heart had stopped. We were successful in performing CPR, resuscitating him and took him to the Vet where he did the same thing, yet was revived again. This happened several more times.
Since early Sunday morning he has been on oxygen, iv's and has a trachea tube and catheter. The x-rays show that his wind pipe is almost completely closed going into his lungs due to severe trauma from the coughing / gasping and excessive fluids. Monday mid day, they completed an ultra sound and discovered the trauma to the wind pipe is much worse than they expected. Choco was heavily sedated as he fought this problem as hard as one could fight. Late Monday afternoon and early evening, after repeated heart failures and after repeated breathing failures, he finally passed.
Choco was a most important part of our lives. We have waited for 9 years for a companion like Choco after losing Roxy and Redford. He was beautiful and very smart and could sit, lay, stay, fetch and come, all on one word commands at 11 weeks. Choco was already retrieving from our pond and waterfall, a true Labrador retriever. We will miss him badly...we loved him deeply.
Choco will be cremated and placed to rest next to Roxy and Redford.
Jay and Carol Rutherford