Bill Davis Racing Event Preview
Race/Date: Power Stroke Diesel 200- Aug. 5, 2005
Location: Indianapolis Raceway Park–Indianapolis
- This week’s race truck for Indianapolis Raceway Park is Chassis No. 23-24. Johnny Benson drove this truck to a hard-fought ninth-place finish at Memphis Motorsports Park.
- Knocking them down… Benson and the No. 23 Toyota Certified Used Vehicles team have two consecutive top-10 finishes to their credit. The team finished ninth at both Kentucky Speedway and Memphis Motorsports Park. The team is 14th in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series points standings, only 120 points out of 10th.
- Welcome to Indy… Benson will meet with a group of Toyota advisors in a group called the National Advisory Council at the Hall of Fame museum in Indianapolis. They are the top 50 advisors to the Toyota Technical Education Network (T-TEN). The purpose of the T-TEN is to provide an environment for the exchange of information between school members, Toyota/Scion and Lexus dealers, Toyota and Lexus field office personnel and TMS management regarding program needs and services. As a member of the NAC, the group plays an important role in supporting the expansion and improvement of the Toyota Technical Education Network.
- Good Start… Benson started on the outside of the front row and finished second to his current teammate Mike Skinner in his first Craftsman Truck Series start 10 years ago at IRP.
- Gail Davis’ ride with Petty & Friends … Last weekend, Gail Davis took to the open road to join the 2005 Chick-fil-A Kyle Petty Charity Ride Across America. This was Gail’s 10th trip with the Petty entourage, which embarked on its 11th- annual ride across the country to help raise money and awareness for children’s charities. The ride started in Lake Oswego, Ore., Saturday, July 23, and concluded at the Victory Junction Gang Camp in Randleman, N.C., July 31. To learn more, go to www.kylepettycharityride.com.
- Listen and Watch … The Power Stroke Diesel 200 is scheduled to start at 8:45 p.m. ET Friday, Aug. 5. It will broadcast live on Speed (TV), MRN (radio) and XM Radio channel 144.
Johnny Benson’s NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Results at IRP
Indianapolis Raceway Park
Date Start Finish LC/TL Status $Won
8/3/1995 2 2 150/150 Running 21,050
8/6/2004 32 26 197/200 Running 7,315 Starts Poles Wins Top-fives Top-10s LC/TL $Won
2 0 0 1 1 347/350 (99.1%) $28,365
Bill Davis Racing Quotes:
Johnny Benson on racing at Indianapolis Raceway Park:
“I’ve run at IRP a couple of times. I ran there back in 1995 with Kurt Roehrig in his truck and finished second, and we had a couple of good runs there in the Busch car. We struggled a bit last year in the truck. Hopefully, when we go back there, we’ve learned enough to be a positive, and we can have a good run.
“We’ve had some good runs this season, and we’ve had some finishes that didn’t really show how good we’ve run. Obviously, we wish we were further up in the points. We’ve had some bad luck that has kept us from gaining points, which is one of the things that makes it hard to evaluate the season to date. The guys at Bill Davis Racing have been doing a tremendous job. I’ve made some mistakes, and we’ve had some pit mistakes, but I feel we’re going in the right direction.”
Crew chief Greg Ely on racing at Indianapolis Raceway Park:
“Last year at IRP was our second race with Johnny Benson behind the wheel. We had some difficulties, which limited our practice time. We still had a top-10 truck until we cut a left-rear tire down, which ended any chances of a solid run. I am hoping to learn from our 2004 IRP experience, along with our experience at Milwaukee and Memphis during the 2005 campaign, so we can put a solid truck under Benson this weekend.”
Johnny Benson 2005 Season Totals
Starts Wins Poles Top 5s Top Tens DNF Money
14 0 0 2 5 2 $198,995
2005 Johnny Benson Craftsman Truck Series Results
Date Start Finish LC TL Status Money
2/18/2005 Daytona International Speedway 16 10 100 100 Running $18,300
2/25/2005 California Speedway 8 12 100 100 Running $13,515
3/18/2005 Atlanta Motor Speedway 4 11 135 135 Running $10,715
4/9/2005 Martinsville Speedway 17 17 250 250 Running $9,940
4/30/2005 Gateway International Raceway 24 11 160 160 Running $11,925
5/15/2005 Mansfield Motorsports Speedway 6 23 251 254 Running $8,115
5/20/2005 Lowe’s Motor Speedway 27 4 136 136 Running $15,750
6/3/2005 Dover International Speedway 15 34 8 200 Accident $9,640
6/10/2005 Texas Motor Speedway 4 2 167 167 Running $46,775
6/18/2005 Michigan Speedway 4 24 100 100 Running $9,815
6/24/2005 The Milwaukee Mile 28 35 140 200 Engine $7,215
7/2/2005 Kansas Speedway 15 28 161 170 Running $9,790
7/9/2005 Kentucky Speedway 13 9 151 151 Running $15,825
7/23/2005 Memphis Motorsports Park 20 9 202 202 Running $11,675
Totals 13.92 16.92 2061 2325 88.65% $198,995
Johnny Benson NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Career Totals
Races Wins Poles Top 5s Top 10s DNFs Money
Totals 39 0 0 10 22 3 479,777