MONROE, Washington -- Pete Harding earned the win in the Washington National Guard 150 presented by Creekside Retirement Center. The NASCAR AutoZone Elite Division, Northwest Series race was held at Evergreen Speedway in Monroe, Wash.
Harding, out of Surrey, B.C. Canada, took the lead from Jason Fraser on lap 143 and held off Brandon Riehl for the final seven laps in a race that fuel mileage was the deciding factor. The race distance of 150 laps on the .646-mile oval at Evergreen Speedway was right at the edge of the fuel window for the Northwest Series cars.
Harding, who has struggled for much of the season, collected his first top-five finish of the season with the win. It was his sixth career victory at Evergreen Speedway and the 18th overall in his career, now in its 20th year in the series.
Riehl finished second for his fifth finish in the top three this season. Jeff Barkshire finished third followed by Jay Sauls and Garrett Evans in fourth and fifth, respectively.
Gary Lewis, Ron Eaton, Steven Howard, Jim McVey and Shane Mitchell rounded out the top 10.
Unofficially in the championship point standings, Lewis stretched his lead over Travis Bennett to 92 points. Riehl closed in on Bennett for second place to just 21 points.
The Northwest Series wraps up a five races in six weeks stretch next week at Magic Valley Speedway in Twin Falls, Idaho for the Platt Electric 200.
UNOFFICIAL Race Results
Washington National Guard 150 presented by Creekside Retirement Center
NASCAR AUTOZONE ELITE DIVISION, NORTHWEST SERIES
Monroe, WA July 29, 2006
Final leaders of Saturday's $53,058.00 NASCAR AUTOZONE ELITE DIVISION, NORTHWEST SERIES
stock car race with driver's hometown, make and model of car, laps completed, winner's
average speed, reason out (if any) and prize money.
1. Pete Harding, Surrey B.C. Canada, Chevrolet, 150, 76.584 mph, $2,850
2. Brandon Riehl, Boring Ore., Chevrolet, 150, $2,350
3. Jeff Barkshire, Auburn Wash., Dodge, 150, $1,600
4. Jay Sauls, Puyallup Wash., Chevrolet, 150, $1,700
5. Garrett Evans, E. Wenatchee Wash., Chevrolet, 150, $1,150
6. Gary Lewis, Bothell Wash., Chevrolet, 150, $1,050
7. Ron Eaton, Tacoma Wash., Chevrolet, 150, $800
8. Steven Howard, Roy Wash., Chevrolet, 150, $900
9. Jim McVey, Port Orchard Wash., Chevrolet, 150, $650
10. Shane Mitchell, Orondo Wash., Chevrolet, 150, $800
11. Zan Sharp, Wellsville Utah, Chevrolet, 148, $775
12. Jason Fraser, Snohomish Wash., Chevrolet, 148, $550
13. Troy Tramell, Yakima Wash., Chevrolet, 148, $700
14. Brent Harris, Wenatchee Wash., Pontiac, 148, $690
15. Matt Hall, Spokane Wash., Chevrolet, 147, $480
16. Shane Harding, Langley B.C. Canada, Chevrolet, 146, $470
17. Lex Johnson, Monroe Wash., Ford, 146, $460
18. Travis Bennett, Ellensburg Wash., Chevrolet, 145, $650
19. Darren Trimble, Snohomish Wash., Chevrolet, 143, $440
20. Jerry Fink, Woodinville Wash., Chevrolet, 135, Gas, $430
21. B. J. Tidrick, Yakima Wash., Chevrolet, 124, $620
22. Mike Longton, Moxee Wash., Chevrolet, 113, Motor, $610
23. Jason Jefferson, Yakima Wash., Chevrolet, 110, Accident, $400
24. Ed Watson, Mt. Vernon Wash., Chevrolet, 98, Clutch, $390
25. John Dillon, Eagle Idaho, Chevrolet, 97, Handling, $385
26. Darren Rupinski, Rathdrum Idaho, Chevrolet, 81, Oil Pump, $380
27. Wilbur Bruce, Lakewood Wash., Chevrolet, 79, Motor, $570
28. John Bender, Snohomish Wash., Chevrolet, 62, Rear End, $565
29. Joey Decker, Jr, Carnation Wash., Chevrolet, 2, Transmission, $360
Time of Race: 1 hrs., 15 mins, 55 secs
Average Speed: 76.584 mph
Margin of Victory: .419 Seconds
BUD POLE AWARD: Brandon Riehl, 69 AERO Exhaust/Darrels Economy Muffler Chevrolet
FEATHERLITE "MOST IMPROVED DRIVER" AWARD: Jay Sauls *, 20 Tri-State Restaurant Supply/Canyon Auto Paint Chevrolet
POWERADE "POWER MOVE OF THE RACE" AWARD: Pete Harding, 39 L.P. Body Shop / Yale Forklift Chevrolet
LUNATI “CREW CHIEF OF THE RACE” AWARD: Rex Morgan, 39 L.P. Body Shop/Yale Forklift Chevrolet
Caution Flags: Laps 30-33; 82-86; 98-100; 110-114. 4 for 17 laps.
Lap Leaders: Jay Sauls * 1-68, Jeff Barkshire 69-122, Jason Fraser * 123-142, Pete Harding 143-150.
Total Laps Led: Jay Sauls * 68, Jeff Barkshire 54, Jason Fraser * 20, Pete Harding 8. 3 changes involving 4 drivers.
Top 10 Driver Points: Gary Lewis 1157, Travis Bennett 1069, Brandon Riehl 1048, Jeff Barkshire 992, Shane Mitchell * 949, Jay Sauls * 935, Garrett Evans 922, Wilbur Bruce 889, Steven Howard 876, Brent Harris * 859
Next Race:8/5 at Magic Valley Speedway