(Laughlin, Nev.) - Tim Seebold, Bud Light Racing Team, successfully defended his Laughlin River Days title today at Laughlin, Nev., the first race of the Laughlin Formula One P.R.O.P. Tour Presented by Bud Light.
The 40-lap Formula One final was contested over the demanding waters of the Colorado River. These difficult conditions caused two restarts during the final. The first restart occurred on lap 6 after Greg Foster flipped his boat while battling for the lead. The second restart occurred on lap 12 as Carlos Kuri barrel-rolled his boat.
Terry Rinker took control of the race after both restarts and led most of the race until faltering with three laps left with mechanical problems. Tim Seebold, who ran second most of the race, took advantage of Rinker's problems and won his ninth career Formula One P.R.O.P. Tour race.
Todd Beckman finished second and Max Toler finished third. Rounding out the top five was John Jensen and Alden Thornton.
* Seebold's Dominate Laughlin Brother's Tim and Mike Seebold have dominated the Laughlin River Day's Formula One race throughout its' four-year history. Mike won the inaugural event in 1998 and successfully defended that title in 1999. Not to be outdone by his brother, Tim won the event in 2000 and was able to defend his title with today's victory.
* Beckman Off to Fast Start to Season Todd Beckman has established himself as a threat to win the Formula One Championship after finishing second in today's race. Beckman won two preliminary heats at Laughlin and challenged the leaders throughout the final. This terrific start could propel him to his first Formula One Championship after finishing third last season.
* Foster Flips Out of Contention After finishing fifth in the Formula One P.R.O.P. Tour Championship last season, which included a strong third place finish at Laughlin, Greg "Mad Man Across the Water" Foster was one of the favorites at this years' event. Foster began the weekend by qualifying second and subsequently won two preliminary heats. Unfortunately, in the final, Foster flipped his boat on lap five and was done for the day.
* Toler Excels at Laughlin Max Toler, the 2000 Formula One P.R.O.P. Tour Rookie of the Year, secured his second career podium finish with today's third place at Laughlin. Toler's first podium occurred last season at San Diego, Calif.
* VP Fuels-Amsoil Championship Points Fund With his victory today, Tim Seebold took the early lead in the VP Fuels-Amsoil Championship Points Fund. Seebold leads the points fund with 192 points over Todd Beckman and Terry Rinker who both have 191 points. Greg Foster currently sits in fourth with 184 points and Mike Seebold has 178 points.
The Laughlin River Days Formula One race will be televised on ESPN2 on Sunday, July 1 at 7:30 PM (EDT).
Next stop on the 2001 Laughlin Formula One P.R.O.P. Tour Presented by Bud Light is the Dobson Heavy Haul Bay City River Roar at Bay City, Mich. on June 23-24.
Laughlin River Days Formula One Results:
1. # 16 Tim Seebold 9. # 48
2. # 2 Todd Beckman 10. # 82
3. # 91 Max Toler 11. # 11
4. # 29 John Jensen 12. # 19
5. # 18 Alden Thornton 13. # 53
6. # 8 Wyatt Nelson 14. # 5
7. # 34 Todd Bowden 15. # 62
8. # 10 Terry Rinker 16. # 3
2001 Laughlin Formula One P.R.O.P. Tour Presented by Bud Light
Date Venue Event Race Winner
June 2-3 Laughlin, Nev. Laughlin River Days
June 23-24 Bay City, Mich. Dobson Heavy Haul Bay City River Roar
July 13-15 Detroit, Mich. Spirit of Detroit Thunderfestival
July 21-22 Saskatoon, Canada Great Northern River Roar
July 27-29 Tri-Cities, Wash. Tri-Cities Water Follies
Sept. 2-3 Windsor, Colo. Roar of the Rockies
Sept. 14-16 San Diego, Calif. San Diego Bayfair
October 6-7 Cypress Gardens, Fla. Miracle Toyota Formula One Shootout
Headquartered in Lake Hamilton, Fla., HYDRO-PROP combines Unlimited
Hydroplanes, the biggest, fastest racing boats in the world, with Formula
One, the most versatile, fastest accelerating and fastest turning boats in
the world. HYDRO-PROP events are held throughout North America and are
televised during prime time on ESPN2. For more information on HYDRO-PROP,