The SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour Series will be in action this Saturday night at the Madera Speedway paved 1/3 mile oval for the “Mid Valley Iron & Metals 125”, the eighth race of the 2010 SRL championship season.
NEWS and NOTES:
• CHAMPIONSHIP PICTURE: The lead position in the 2010 SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour Series championship has changed four times in four races. Derek Thorn led the championship until the Madera event on June 26th, where Jim Pettit took the championship lead. Thorn then regained the lead at the conclusion of the July 17th Irwindale race. Following the second Irwindale stop on September 4th, Jonathon Gomez is now on top of the point standings heading into this Saturday’s race at Madera Speedway with 1094 points. Pettit is second with 1070, Thorn third at 1026 and Ryan Foster is still in the championship hunt with 1000.
• TOP TEN: Current SRL Top 10 Championship Driver Standings – Gomez 1094, Pettit 1070, Thorn 1026, Foster 1000, Kyle Cattanach 971, Keith Spangler 944, Jacob Gomes 912, Brennan Newberry 902, Joe Farre’ 866 and Ross Strmiska 833.
• CONSISTANCY: Championship leader Gomez has not finished outside the top 4, including two wins, since the second race of the year at Orange Show Speedway. Pettit has but one finish outside the top 5 since Orange Show, including one win. Thorn has placed in the top 2 in four of the first seven races.
• SEASON NUMBERS: With 30 SRL teams on hand for the July 17th event at Toyota Speedway at Irwindale, the average car count for 2010 is 26.2 cars per race. A total of 53 teams have taken the green flag in SRL competition so far this year.
• BYRD RETURNS: 2007 SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour Series champion Dave Byrd will return for the next two events (Madera & Roseville) driving the #3 Performance Electrical Chevrolet for car owner Bob Strandwold.
• FIREWORKS: Madera Speedway will once again present a big Fireworks Show right before the start of the SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour Series “Mid Valley Iron & Metals 125” on Saturday night.
• K&N YOUNG GUNS CHAMPIONSHIP: The race for the 2010 K&N Young Guns championship for drivers 23 years and younger is a three-way battle with Brennan Newberry and Jacob Gomes tied for the lead at 517 points, with Ross Strmiska just 8 points back.
• ROOKIE LEADERS: Fourteen SRL rookies have competed in 2010, with Gomes leading the Victory Circle Chassis Rookie-of-the-Year standings with 912 points, followed by Strmiska at 833 and Carlos Vieira with 825.
• LEGENDS: Cale Kanke is holding the top spot of the SRL Legends Tour championship with 1205 points, followed closely by Austin Reed with 1150.
• TIMES: Spectator gates open at 2:30pm, with SRL qualifying at 6pm. Joining the SRL this Saturday night will be the LunkerDaddy Late Models, SRL Legends, Toyota Sedans, MST’s and Hobby Stocks. For more information go to; www.racemadera.com