WHAT: Pepsi 125
Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series Race No. 10 of 14
WHERE: South Sound Speedway, Tenino, Wash.
.375-Mile Paved Speedway
WHEN: Saturday, August 11, 2001 – 9:00 p.m. PDT
DISTANCE: 125 Laps/46.875 Miles
POSTED AWARDS: $26,050
FIELD: 22 cars possible. Fastest 15 cars through time trials with two provisional starting positions available to the top 20 drivers based on the current 2001 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series, NASCAR Touring Championship point standings, two starting positions from highest 20 car owners in the current 2001 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series, NASCAR Touring Championship point standings, one position for a former champion of the series who has not qualified in the original 15 positions, the final two positions will be filled by the top two highest finishers in the Qualifying Race.
Saturday, August 11 Noon Registration and inspection
1:00 p.m. Draw for qualifying order
2:00 p.m. Mandatory Driver’s & Crew Chief’s Meeting
TBA Mandatory Rookie Driver’s Meeting
to 4:45 p.m. Alternating Practice
6:00 p.m. Time Trials (2 Laps)
8:30 p.m. PEPSI “125”
THE RACETRACK: South Sound Speedway is a slightly banked .375-mile paved oval.
RECORDS: Driver Date Speed Time
QUALIFYING: Ken Kaltschmidt 5/12/01 92.504 mph 13.621 sec.
RACE: Ron Eaton 5/20/00 67.167 mph 37 min 11 sec
2000 TOP 10 IN THE EVENT
1. Gary Lewis
2. Ron Eaton
3. Chris Hart
4. John Zaretzke
5. Ken Kaltschmidt
6. Garrett Evans
7. Ray Wallace
8. Kevin Hamlin
9. Gaylon Stewart
10. Joe Constance
PAST 10 WINNERS OF THIS EVENT
2000 Gary Lewis
1999 Shane Biles
1998 Joe Benedetti
1996 Gary Lewis
1995 Garrett Evans
1994 Dan Press
1993 Garrett Evans
1992 Garrett Evans
1991 Ron Eaton
1990 John Dillon
2000 RACE STATISTICS
- Bud Pole: Gary Lewis
- Time of Race: 38 min. 51 sec.
- Average Speed: 64.286 mph
- Margin of Victory: 1.56 sec
- Caution Flags: 3 for 14 laps
- Lap Leaders: Kenny Rich (1-22), Kevin Hamlin (23-68), Lewis (69-125).
NOTES OF INTEREST:
- Kevin Hamlin leads Pete Harding by 96 points for the 2001 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series. Harding moved up one position on the strength of his top-3 performance in the series last event, the Parts Plus 125 in Monroe, Wash.
- Joe Benedetti fell back to third place in the championship standings, and trails Hamlin by 111 points heading to the Pepsi 125, a race he won in 1998. Benedetti did accomplish his eighth consecutive top-10 performance this season by coming home 10th in the last event.
- Four former South Sound Speedway stars, Joe Benedetti, Steven Howard, Wes Rhodes, and Ray Wallace rank in the top-10 in season points for the Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series. Benedetti tops the trio with his third place position. Howard is seventh, compiling six top-10 runs in nine events. Rhodes is ninth for the points chase, but ranks third in laps completed (1,155 of 1,168) behind Benedetti and Hamlin. Wallace is tenth in points with four top-10 finishes. He trails Rhodes by three points for ninth place.
- Troy Conrad closed the Totem Travel Rookie of the Year chase to three points after his top-10 run at Evergreen Speedway. John Bender leads the rookie battle with 80 points. Conrad is eighth in season points with five top-10 and two top-5 finishes in nine starts.
- The Pepsi 125 has produced a first-time winner in two of the last three events. Shane Biles picked up win No. 1 of his career in 1999. Joe Benedetti won his first event in 1998 at this race. Benedetti’s two career victories have come at South Sound Speedway.
STAT OF THE WEEK:
- Chevrolet leads all manufacturers with 21 victories at South Sound Speedway. Ford and Pontiac each have 14 wins, Buick claimed two events while competing on the series.
- Gary Lewis began a string of four consecutive wins on the series by capturing the Pepsi 125. Lewis won the Bud Pole with a lap of 14.647 seconds, and led the final 56 laps to earn the Gatorade Front Runner award. Ray Wallace was the highest local finisher with a seventh place run in the Pepsi 125.
Ron Eaton 10
Joe Benedetti 7
Kevin Hamlin 5
Pete Harding 4
Tom Sweatman 2
Chris Hart 1
Garrett Evans 1
John Zaretzke 1
Steve Hodge 1
Jeff Jefferson 1
2001 RBNWS Manufacturers’ Championship
1. Chevrolet 75 Points 7 Wins
2. Pontiac 60 Points 2 Wins
3. Ford 36 Points 0 Wins