"For the fifth time in 2011, M.K. Kanke and Jacob Gomes have swapped the championship lead."
Race Date: Saturday, September 24, 2011
Saturday’s SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour Series “Mike Roos Memorial 140 presented by Bob Strandwold Racing” at Madera Speedway is the eighth event of the ten-race SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour Series 2011 championship season. Saturday’s race line up at Madera Speedway will also feature a Fireworks Show, Lawn Mower Races, LunkerDaddy Late Models, MST, Hobby Stocks and more.
SRL NOTES OF INTEREST FOR MADERA SPEEDWAY:
• CHAMPIONSHIP BATTLE: For the fifth time in 2011, M.K. Kanke and Jacob Gomes have swapped the championship lead, Kanke now holds a 41 point lead over Gomes, Jim Pettit II is third, just 7 points behind Gomes.
• MOMENTUM: Pettit is carrying momentum coming off his victory at Stockton 99 on August 20th, Keith Spangler who finished a career high 2nd at Stockton also has good momentum coming into Madera this weekend.
• MADERA PERFORMANCE: Derek Thorn set a new track record and won at Madera on June 25th. Thorn has a 4.6 finishing average in his last three starts at Madera Speedway, the best of any SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour Series driver.
• CHAMPIONS ENTERED: Three former SPEARS Southwest Tour Series Champions are entered in this weekend: M.K. Kanke (2009), Jim Pettit (2008), and Dave Byrd (2007). Three-time NASCAR K&N Pro Series Champion Eric Holmes will be driving the Moeller Bros. #18.
• RACE FORMAT: “Mike Roos Memorial 140 presented by Bob Strandwold Racing” will feature a competition break at lap 70, where drivers will stop along the front straightaway - teams can add fuel and make adjustments during the 10 minute break.
• HOME TRACK ADVANTAGE: Being from Madera and a former Madera Speedway track champion, Justin Westmoreland will have the home track advantage this Saturday night.
• SRL TOP TEN ENTERING MADERA: M.K. Kanke - 1170 (1 win), Jacob Gomes - 1029 points (3 wins), Jim Pettit II – 1122 (1 win), Derek Thorn - 1068 (2 wins), Ross Strmiska - 1059, Keith Spangler – 996, Dave Byrd – 978, Eric Holmes - 887, Carlos Vieira – 880, Michael Sandoval 838.
The Race: “Mike Roos Memorial 140 presented by Bob Strandwold Racing”
The Place: Madera Speedway
The Date: Saturday, September 24, 2011 (Open Practice on Friday, September 23rd.)
Track Layout: .333-mile paved oval
SRL Track Record: Derek Thorn 14.320 seconds
SRL Event Sponsors: Bob Strandwold Racing, AmeriPride Uniform Services, Hoosier Tire, SUNOCO Race Fuels, Bay BioDiesel, and Coors Light.