As the off-season is in full swing, there have been a number of moves behind the scenes among the SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour Series teams as the 2012 season approaches:
• 2011 SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour Series champion Jim Pettit II and his team will move over to Quentin Bammer’s Moeller’s Bros. #18. The team just received shipment of a new Hamke built car that will debut at the 2012 opener at Stockton 99 on March 31st.
• 2011 SRL championship runner up, Jacob Gomes will be back to challenge for the series title, what car he will be driving is uncertain.
• Derek Thorn will move to the NASCAR K&N Pro Series full-time driving for Bob Bruncati’s Sunrise Ford team with crew chief Bill Sedgwick. Thorn plans to compete in selected SRL events, and may act as crew chief at Dave Reed Racing at selected events.
• After sitting out most of 2012, two-time SRL championship car owner Bob Strandwold is planning a full-time effort in 2012 with drivers to be announced.
• 2011 NASCAR K&N Pro Series champion Greg Pursley has a brand new car ready to compete in the SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour Series with his Gene Price Motorsports team lead by crew chief Jerry Pitts.
• Bethseda, Maryland’s Jeff Oleen will run full-time in the NTS Motorsports #21 in 2012.
• Standout Legends driver, Donny St. Ours will compete for the SRL Victory Circle Rookie-of-the-Year in 2012. St. Ours made his SRL debut at the season finale at The Bullring.
• After making his SRL debut in 2011, Zane Lovelace will compete full-time in 2012.
• Tim Smith, driver of the Miller Environmental #99 will be joined by his brother Kenny to form a two-car team in 2012.
• Southern Cal drivers Rich Delong III and Eric Sunness will make up a two-car team to compete full-time in 2012 in the SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour Series.
• NASCAR K&N Pro Series regular Michael Self is making plans to compete in the SRL in 2012.
• Colby Potts will take over the driving duties from his Dad, Greg, and will compete for the Victory Circle Rookie-of-the-Year title while attending his freshman year at yet to be decided upon university.
The SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour Series will begin its 2012 season at Stockton 99 Speedway on Saturday, March 31st. Ten events will make up the 2012 SRL schedule, with the finale at Las Vegas Motor Speedway">The Bullring at Las Vegas Motor Speedway on November 17th.