BRAINERD, Minnesota — Michael Self scored his first career win in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series West with a victory in the Brainerd 125 at Brainerd International Raceway on Saturday.
The 21-year-old from Park City, Utah chased down Dylan Kwasniewski in the closing stages of the 50-lap race on the 2.5-mile road course and took the lead coming to the white flag. Kwasniewski, who had dominated the competition, was battling transmission issues as the race wound down.
Self had run in third behind teammates Kwasniewski and Greg Pursley for most of the race. He picked off Pursley with 10 laps to go and then overcame more than a three-second deficit to get to the lead. He made the move past Kwasniewski entering Turn 9 on the 48th lap and pulled away in the No. 21 Rockwell/Golden Gate Meat/RCR Chevrolet to win by a margin of 4.859 seconds.
Despite the mechanical problems, Kwasniewski held on to finish second. Pursley was third, with Derek Thorn fourth and David Mayhew fifth. Completing the top 10 were Eric Holmes, Jonathon Gomez, Austin Dyne, Dylan Hutchison and Carl Harr.
With his win, Self locked up a spot in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series race at the UNOH Battle At The Beach at Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway next February during Speedweeks.
The Brainerd event was the sixth event on a 15-race schedule and the second of four road course races for the series this year.
The next event on the NASCAR K&N Pro Series West schedule will be the Star Nursery 200 at The Bullring at Las Vegas Motor Speedway on Saturday, June 2.
NASCAR K&N PRO SERIES WEST-Brainerd 125 Unofficial Results
At Brainerd International Raceway
Lap length: 2.5 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (9) Michael Self, Park City, UT, Chevrolet, 50 laps, 80.819 mph.
2. (1) Dylan Kwasniewski, Las Vegas, NV, Ford, 50.
3. (2) Greg Pursley, Newhall, CA, Ford, 50.
4. (4) Derek Thorn, Lakeport, CA, Ford, 50.
5. (3) David Mayhew, Atascadero, CA, Chevrolet, 50.
6. (5) Eric Holmes, Escalon, CA, Toyota, 50.
7. (8) Jonathon Gomez, Twin Falls, ID, Chevrolet, 50.
8. (6) Austin Dyne, Malibu, Calif., Ford, 50.
9. (14) Dylan Hutchison, Fair Oaks, CA, Chevrolet, 49.
10. (10) Carl Harr, Edmonton, Alberta, Chevrolet, 49.
11. (12) Daryl Harr, Edmonton, Alberta, Chevrolet, 49.
12. (7) Cameron Hayley, Calgary, Alberta, Toyota, 49.
13. (11) Brett Thompson, Jerome, Idaho, Chevrolet, 48.
14. (13) Ryan Philpott, Tracy, CA, Ford, 48.
15. (16) John Wood, Eagle, ID, Dodge, 47.
16. (17) Jack Sellers, Sacramento, CA, Chevrolet, 47.
17. (18) Chris Evans, Toyota, 44.
18. (15) Ronnie Jay, Victoria, British Columbia, Ford, 31, transmission.
19. (19) Anthony Giannone, Colorado Sprgs, Colo., Chevrolet, 6, accident.
Time of Race: 1 hour 32 minutes 48 seconds
Margin of Victory: 4.859 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: Field set per rulebook (rain)
Caution Flags: 1 for 4 laps.
Lead Changes: 8 among 5 drivers.
Lap Leaders: G. Pursley 1-2; D. Kwasniewski 3-11; G. Pursley 12-16; D. Kwasniewski 17-20; E. Holmes 21; D. Mayhew 22; G. Pursley 23-29; D. Kwasniewski 30-48; M. Self 49-50.
Standings: 1. D. Kwasniewski, 263; 2. G. Pursley, 246; 3. D. Mayhew, 241; 4. D. Thorn, 235; 5. E. Holmes, 234; 6. M. Self, 203; 7. J. Gomez, 196; 8. D. Harr, 189; 9. A. Dyne, 188; 10. C. Harr, 176.