WHAT: Coors Light 125
Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series Race No. 10 of 14
WHERE: Raceway Park, Kalispell, Mont.
.375-Mile Paved Speedway
WHEN: Saturday, August 10, 2002 – 9:30 p.m. MST
DISTANCE: 125 Laps/31.25 Miles
POSTED AWARDS: $36,475
FIELD: 22 cars possible. Fastest 15 cars through time trials with two provisional starting positions available to the top 30 drivers based on the current 2002 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series, NASCAR Touring Championship point standings, two starting positions from current top 30 car owners in the 2002 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series, NASCAR Touring Championship point standings, one position for a former champion of the series who has not qualified in the original 15 positions, the final two positions will be filled by the top two finishers in the Qualifying Race.
SANCTION: National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc. (NASCAR)
PROMOTER: Raceway Park, Inc.
CONTACTS: Doug Pace, NASCAR, 509/469-4401
Sharon Slack, Raceway Park, 406/257-7223
Friday, August 9
11:00 a.m. Optional Hauler enter & Registration Opens
3:30 p.m. Optional Practice Session
4:30 p.m. Garage Closes
5:00 p.m. Optional Dinner & Community Celebration At Rainbow Casino
Saturday, August 10
Noon Haulers Enter, Registration & Inspection Begins
1:30 p.m. Mandatory Crew Chief’s Meeting
1:45 p.m. Drawing To Determine Qualifying Order
3:00 p.m. First Practice Session
4:00 p.m. Second Practice Session
5:15 p.m. Driver’s Meeting
5:30 p.m. Rookie Driver’s Meeting
7:00 p.m. Time Trials
8:00 p.m. Trophy Dash
8:30 p.m. 15-lap Qualifying Race (If necessary)
9:30 p.m. Coors Light 125
THE RACETRACK: Raceway Park is a high banked .250-mile paved oval.
RECORDS: Driver Date Speed Time
QUALIFYING: Gary Lewis 8/5/00 70.489 mph 12.768 seconds
RACE: Shane Biles 8/5/00 48.090 mph 38 min 9 sec
PAST RESULTS OF THIS EVENT
2000 Shane Biles
1999 Tom Sweatman
1998 Tom Sweatman
NOTES OF INTEREST:
- Kevin Hamlin is the Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series points leader heading into the Coors Light 125. With his second victory in as many races, Gary Lewis has moved into second place, just 84 markers behind the leader. Only 136 points separate Hamlin and Chris Hart who sits in third place.
- Lewis earned his first Bud Pole Award of the 2002 season at South Sound Speedway and holds the qualifying record at Raceway Park. Lewis has climbed from 12th place in the series points standings after three races, to second with five races to go in the season.
- Hamlin has two consecutive top-5 finishes at Raceway Park. His best career finish on the .250-mile track is a fourth place effort, accomplished in 1999 and 2000. Shane Biles, the last NASCAR Touring driver to win a race at Raceway Park, also has two consecutive top-5 finishes.
- Ken Kaltschmidt, a native of Marion, Montana has entered the Coors Light 125 for a chance to perform in front of the hometown fans. Kaltschmidt finished in fifth place in 2000 in only his second series start in his home state.
- Montana Gov. Judy Martz will attend her first NASCAR event in her home state when the Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series competes on Saturday, August 10. Martz son is a race car driver and recently competed in the prestigious Montana 200 for late model stock cars.
- Jeff Jefferson leads the Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series with three Bud Pole Awards. The Naches, Wash. native also leads the Gatorade Front Runner standings for laps led at an event. Seven drivers have won a Bud Pole this season while nine different drivers have led at least one lap at an event.
- The Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series has entered its 18th year of competition. This is the fourth time a NASCAR event has been held in the state of Montana. The Coors Light 125 is one of the biggest sporting events in the state this year.
STATS OF THE WEEK:
RBNWS Race Winners in 2002: Bud Pole Award Standings: Kevin Hamlin 4 Jeff Jefferson 3
Jeff Jefferson 2 Troy Conrad 1
Gary Lewis 2 Garrett Evans 1
Pete Harding 1 Pete Harding 1
Ron Eaton 1 Zach Niessner 1 Gary Lewis 1
Gatorade Front Runner Award Standings: Jeff Jefferson 9
Kevin Hamlin 8
Chris Hart 5
Gary Lewis 5
Shane Biles 4
Garrett Evans 3
Wes Rhodes 1
Pete Harding 1
Top-10 Driver Standings:
1. Kelly Mann 2. Travis Powell 3. Aaron Young 1. Kevin Hamlin
2. Gary Lewis
3. Chris Hart
4. Pete Harding
5. Jeff Jefferson
6. Troy Conrad
7. Garrett Evans
8. Joe Benedetti
9. Rick Suran
2001 RBNWS Manufacturers’ Championship
1. Chevrolet 75 7
2. Pontiac 60 2
3. Ford 36 0