NASCAR WINSTON WEST
Date Posted — April 26, 2003
- #77 Steve Portenga -- Magnus Charter Fund/King Taco Ford Taurus
"It was great. It feels great to win at California Speedway. It was great having fans from my home state since I am a native of California. The Goodyear Tires were awesome. How about those pit stops? We were incredible. Hats off to Schrader (Ken #99), I was just a little better than him today.
"There is a lot of give and take out there. A lot of guys are real fast, but they made big mistakes, I made a few of my own. There were about 12 or 15 of us who could have could have won this. Winning here is like Daytona. Any win is a big feat. To win this early in a young season, with a young team shows our championship goals are well within grasp.
"It was hard to go out there because I had to make the rules up myself. My heart goes out to the troops. The Marines are what it is all about.
"It was great to win and boost the season. It is all about the big picture."
- #85 Kevin Richards - Monaco Enterprises/Jerry Springer Chevrolet Monte Carlo
- "We had an awesome car. We needed it to stay green. The last caution really hurt us. We had a seven second lead before the last yellow came out, which we could have kept with a simple splash (of gas) and go. It was a good points day for us. We are leaving here happy."
- #8 Johnny Borneman - Borneman Plastering/Red Line Oil Ford Taurus
- "We had a good run. We are happy finishing in the top-5 and to have won the pole. On about the 25th lap, we picked up vibrations and it slowed us down a bunch. The ball joints gave up, crazy how $50 worth of parts could have such an effect."
- #12 Bryan Herta -- Sims Trucking/Berco Redwood Chevrolet Monte Carlo
- "We had a great time here. We are really happy with how we did. This is my first stock car race ever. The car was running great. We ran with fast cars at the end."
- #99 Ken Schrader - Federated Auto Parts Chevrolet Monte Carlo
- "We should not have changed tires during our last pit stop. We put on two new rights. We just got beat."